Friday, August 27, 2010

Necktie spiral quilt


I made this necktie quilt for my high school girlfriend Marion (Enslin) Jacobs using her husband Paul Jacobs ties. Paul passed away in 1997.

This mess ???? really is the ties in order per the wedge they are sewn into. I must be almost finished as the pieces are pretty cut up and small. The second picture shows the middle complete. Now I'm trying to decide what color to use for the border.

The quilt is now finished as of August 19, 2010. I will post the finished picture soon. I quilted in the ditch in the middle part, and I didn't know if the quilt or I would wear out first with all of the turning, pulling and shoving thru the machine. I quilted the outside borders using free motion quilting, and learned a few things in the process. It's always good to learn something new during a project.

I designed this quilt using RaNae Merrill's technique in her new book called Magnificient Mandala Spiral Quilts, which will be in the book stores in Nov. 2010. I had the privilege of working with RaNae, along with 68 other quilters to design and make a quilt or two for this new book. It was a dream come true to be involved in this project of hers.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment